These are not really recipes, more of basic guidelines to make parts of Thanksgiving dinner. I am sure there will be more recipe cards with better instructions.
- Cook cornbread the day before- break up and let dry
- Cook giblets and neck slowly, 2-3 hours
- Crumble bread and add equal amount herb stuffing mix
- Chop onion, 1/2 green pepper, celery- brown to light brown in bacon grease
- Season bread crumbs
- Add onions, green pepper, celery and browned sausage to crumbs
- Moisten with giblet juice until moist, not soggy
- Wash seasoned butter inside of bird, stuff
- Lubricate foil well- lay strings out
- Giblets should cook the day before.
- For 18lb bird, giblets started with 3 quarts water (season after skimming)-very little salt
- Cook slowly 2 to 3 hours or more
- May add onion, peppercorns, celery, garlic clove, etc
Strain and split broth into two equal containers and store in refrigerator overnight
Use 5 cups to moisten dressing
Use 4 cups for gravy
Gravy needs 8 cups, the additional from bird juices when foil is opened.
- 1 1/2 cup gravy in each gravy boat (6C for one refill each)
- Skim fat from bird drippings, combine with giblet liquid
- Use 2 T each fat and flour for each cup liquid
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic, poultry seasoning, curry powder, Worcestershire sauce, crumbled giblets